Quick and very easy cakes to be made on a rainy day. Called bird’s nest due to their appearance. Can be made by toddlers with minimal assistance. Ideal for Easter but can be made year round.
What you need
- 12 hole bun tin
- cake papers
- 150g of chocolate, I used plain but you can use milk as well
- 3x Shredded Wheat biscuits
- Mini Eggs or M&Ms if it isn’t Easter
(makes approx 12 cakes)
How to make the cakes
- Melt chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water
- Break Shredded Wheat into small pieces
- Mix the chocolate and the Shredded Wheat together
- Spoon mixture into cake papers
- Add two or three eggs to each cake
- Chill in fridge until chocolate goes solid again
As you can see from the pictures my two eldest children (aged 3 and 22 months) were making these cakes with assistance from my mum. The middle child made four cakes (I don’t think she could have concentrated enough to make more) and the older one eight.
The only problem I had was stopping them from eating the eggs and cake before they have been chilled.
As there are no raw ingredients in these cakes, the bowl can be scraped and spoons licked afterwards (this may well be the best part of making cakes)