Scrumptious Mince Pies with buttery melt-in-the-mouth pastry. Easy to make. A delicious Christmas treat. Can be made all year round. My Husband loves mince pies and I will regularly mix up a batch of these in the middle of summer. Look out for jars of mincemeat on sale in January, will last a long time if unopened.
- 375g Plain Flour
- 250g Unsalted Butter
- 125g Icing Sugar/Powdered Sugar plus some for decoration
- Large Egg
- Jar of Mincemeat
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C (fan oven)/Gas Mark 7.
- Cut butter into small pieces.
- Place butter and flour into a bowl.
- Rub the butter and flour mix between your thumbs and fingers, until it forms into a breadcrumb consistency.
- Mix in the sugar
- Add the beaten egg slowly and bring the pastry together into a ball. You may need to add a small amount of water if the pastry is not coming together.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface until it is approx. 5mm thick.
- Cut out 24 pie bases with the round 15cm cutter, and 24 star shaped tops.
- Place the pie bases in the muffin tins.
- Put 1-1.5 teaspoons of mincemeat into the pies
- Place the stars on top of the pies.
- Cook in the oven for 20 mins until the pastry is golden brown.
- Allow to cool in the tray before releasing the pies
- Dust with icing sugar